Shane Kerr wrote:

> I know there's a lot of anti-DHCP sentiment, especially in the IPv6
> crowd. I think it is misplaced; DHCP is at worst a necessary evil, and
> at best an elegant solution to the problem space where it sits.

Right.

The problem is that so called "stateless autoconfiguration" has never
been a well defined concept and is no better than DHCP.

Problem space of ND is not well defined, either, which causes a lot
of troubles.

For example, timing constraints of RFC2462 are often annoying.

As a result, RFC3775 denies RFC2462 that:

   o  MinRtrAdvInterval 0.03 seconds

   o  MaxRtrAdvInterval 0.07 seconds

   RFC 2462 [13] specifies that in normal processing for Duplicate
   Address Detection, the node SHOULD delay sending the initial Neighbor
   Solicitation message by a random delay between 0 and
   MAX_RTR_SOLICITATION_DELAY.  Since delaying DAD can result in
   significant delays in configuring a new care-of address when the
   Mobile Node moves to a new link, the Mobile Node preferably SHOULD
   NOT delay DAD when configuring a new care-of address.

which is an evidence that problem space of ND excluded mobile
environment.

Like that, it is natural that DHCP people think DAD annoying.

                                                        Masataka Ohta