Bob Hinden wrote:

On Sep 13, 2007, at 12:58 PM, ext Brian Dickson wrote:

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
(I realize this list might not represent the bulk of the deployed IPv6
networks... nonetheless, I'm curious.)

This is an informal survey of what is deployed in terms of IPv6 networks.
Do you use autoconf only, static assignments only, or a mix?

Many thanks to those who responded, although the number of responses was
a bit smaller than I expected.

I think the reason for the small number of responses was that you never clarified if you were talking about hosts, routers, or both.
Hmmm....

I never received any requests for clarification, so I don't agree that it was confusing.
Do you know of anyone personally that chose not to answer because of this?

I would not have thought anyone uses autoconfig for routers - the thought never occurred to me.

As for the poll -  I was talking only of hosts.
Most people ignored your poll. For example, on my home network I statically configure the router and use autoconfig for all the hosts. It wasn't clear how to answer.

Autoconfig. I'll add your answer to the results. :-)
The result of this is that I don't think you can draw any valid conclusions from your poll.
Since it is a straw poll, the respondents being self-selecting, the conclusions are applicable only to the small sample set.

That is why it is a straw poll - it's only a vague litmus test, not anything meant to be conclusive per se.

If you think you'd get more answers, feel free to do a straw poll yourself, of course. I'd be interested to see if the results differ significantly.

Brian