> I'm not arguing for changing *all* of IPv6 away from EUI-64.
>
> I'm arguing *for* *allowing* choices of II format of EUI-64 *or* any
> other suitable unique II specific to the layer 2 medium.

        making the host ("interface ID" in IPv6-speack) to be fixed length,
        with bigger bitwidth, makes IPv6 address independent from the hardware
        interface layer.

        today, i see the following horror story a lot:
        - use like /28 or something for an IPv4 subnet
        - there are 15th computer installed, no room for the new computer
        - renember and get /27
        - repeat it with (prefix length + 1)
        - repeat it with (prefix length + 2)
        - ...

        today the most expensive cost is the human labor cost.  one less IT
        guy = happier management level.

itojun