Brian E Carpenter wrote:
Choosing EUI-64 format was a strategic decision taken from
a very long term (many decades) viewpoint. I see no case
for changing that choice.
Let me make the case very simple:

IF an RA advertises a /80 prefix:
- EUI-64 autoconf WILL fail
- EUI-48 autoconf WILL succeed (the proposed extention to autoconf II construction)

This does not REQUIRE that all II be EUI-48, or even that ALL interfaces support EUI-48. Clearly neither of those makes any sense.

I am proposing ONLY that AUTOCONF be extended in cases where it otherwise would fail, to construct an alternate II based on whatever MAC happens to be on the interface.

NB:
This is actually very much analogous to what is done on Link-Local.
If you recall, Link-Local does *not* specify EUI-64 for II, nor does it specify even the *size* of the II. It is II-agnostic, other than number of bits maximum in an II not exceeding 55 bits (/9 prefix) It merely says, to build a LL address, take "FE80::/9" and bit-wise OR it with the II.
(End NB comment)

I am suggesting similarly, take the RA prefix, and bit-wise OR it with whatever alternative for II (i.e. MAC address) is used, and do this ONLY for prefix other than /64.

Per the INT AD's message today, please indicate:
(a) if you feel this will cause harm
(b) if you only are reluctant to have the RFC changed
(c) if you actively oppose this on grounds other than (b)

If (c), please voice your *specific* concerns. Again, this is II used only for autoconf, and only when presented with an RA of something other than /64.

Brian Dickson