All,
This is a good note on which to end the speculative comments. I would suggest that rather than commenting on the *possible* direction of Brian Dickson's proposal, that the WG wait for the actual draft describing the proposal. That way, comments can be constructive and directed at a concrete specification.

Regards,
Brian
IPv6 WG co-chair

Jim Jackson wrote:

It is interesting that people who are omniscient don't appear to
actually understand what is being proposed. Brian has had to repeat
several times that his proposal does NOT alter the standard
autoconfiguration operation.

While I'd not claim to know whether his proposal has sufficient merit to
be accepted, I have a gut feeling that a universal fixed 64 bit boundary
may cause future problems. I also think choice is good, as long as that
choice does not come at too higher "cost". But the proposal must be
understood before the costs can be weighed.