I think that Fred's draft tries to prevent applications from making such
mistakes. Seems to me that whether the host is dual-homed on two
separate interfaces, or multi-homed on various IP subnets on the same
physical wire as Fred's draft discusses, is not all that different.

> I agree that the underlying problem is common and one worth solving,
> but I think doing so needs optional OS features to allow the user to
> specify which expectations can be violated and under what conditions.
> That sounds vaguely outside the normal IETF boundaries to me.
>
> (The underlying problem is, to me, just a lack of reasonable routing
> policies.  If a site is multihomed like that, then, at least in a
> perfect world, both ISPs would know about _both_ subnets in use, and
> that the same customer has a legitimate claim on both.)
>
> > I agree that calling this "source routing." or anything
> similar, would
> > be misleading.
>
> It *is* making packet routing decisions based on the source address.
> Perhaps that's not exactly the same as "source routing" used in other
> contexts, but for the first hop, it's the same thing.

I'll concede your point on the first hop.

Bert