> I know how to configure off-link on a router. I was asking the
 > community. At least the people we pinged in the past in the community
 > didn't know how or didn't reply including Hesham.
 >
 > How off-link is configured is described in section 2.1, and
 > 2.2.1 of our
 > draft. Your explanation below for the section 2.1 is fine. As for the
 > off-link suggestion you make below for AdvOnLinkFlag=False,
 > folks might
 > not agree with you on just setting L-bit in RA to be clear
 > and off-link
 > is signaled. Here is one reason why. Snipped below is text
 > from section
 > 2.3 on our draft.
 >
 > [An on-link bit of clear indicates nothing regarding on-link
 > determination. In section 6.3.4 of draft-ietf-ipv6-rfc2461bis-11
 > (Narten, T., Nordmark, E., Simpson, W., and H. Soliman, "Neighbor
 > Discovery for IP Version 6 (IPv6)," March 2007.) [NDbis]":
 >
 > "...a Prefix Information Option with on-link flag set to
 > zero conveys no
 > information concerning on-link determination and MUST NOT be
 > interpreted
 > to mean that addresses covered by the prefix are
 > off-link.... Prefixes
 > with the on-link flag set to zero would normally have the autonomous
 > flag set and be used by [ADDRCONF]."]
 >
 > Did we miss anything in the interpretation of the text above from RFC
 > 4861. This text is not clear.

=> I tried to explain it in the meeting and on the list but clearly my
explanation is not getting through. Let me have another shot. There is no
flag in 4861 that says that an entire prefix is off-link. Instead, clearing
the L flag means that the host should not assume that an address derived
from this prefix is on-link. So what's the consequence of this? The
consequence is that the host should send all packets to the default router.
The same consequence as if the flag says the prefix is off-link. So if all
you want to do is make sure that a host avoids address resolution and sends
packets straight to the default router then make sure the L flag is clear.
In the absence of the PIO, the default behaviour is to send packets to the
default router.

If none of this is clear please read Bernie's earlier response. I don't know
how to make it any clearer.

Hesham