Hi, all.

I have a question about RFC 4862 Section 5.4.5.
Please let me confirm about it.

It says,

    909    If the address is a link-local address formed from an interface
    910    identifier based on the hardware address, which is supposed to be
    911    uniquely assigned (e.g., EUI-64 for an Ethernet interface), IP
    912    operation on the interface SHOULD be disabled.

Does the word 'hardware address' here mean MAC address itself?
Or the address which is assigned physically at the factory?

I'm concerning that some system can change MAC address by software and
can use software-based MAC address.

When DAD fails for IP address based on software-based MAC address,
should the system disable IP operation on also that interface?

Thanks,