The problem is that some of those devices have really limited memory and
they already do (too?) many things, so there is no room left... Some vendors
had to go back at their code and spend a lot of time and effort to clean
things up to make room for the very basic IPv6 code, so every kb count.

The whole idea of asking them to do extra efforts to implement a
functionality that is not needed and that will introduce bugs & instability
is not very appealing.

Again, this last argument applies also to devices that do not have memory
problems: if I do not need functionality X, I'd rather like not to have it
implemented as it will lower the operational risks.

In other words, what functionality goes into a device is a business decision
that is driven by the application considered. The node requirement document
is a good place to say: if you want functionality X, here is what you have
to do to make sure it interoperates well, it is not the place to make
business decisions.

If IPsec was used ubiquitously, I'd probably have another opinion. The
reality is that today, IPsec usage is more the exception than the rule (at
least in my environment), and I do not see this changing soon.

  - Alain.