Thomas,

>As a general "node requirement", SHOULD is the right level, not MUST.

I veer to being somewhat conservative in this area. I don't think that
we should be
re-interpreting Standards-track RFCs in the Node Req document.  I think
that we can only refer
to what the base standards track RFCs state, and provide some text to
guide the reader.

I still tend to think that IPSec is a good enabler to have, on a hw or
sw platform, for example.
Whether it is activiated or used is another story.  Also, understanding
the overall security
solutions that should be used in different deployments are quite
complicated, and can only
get worse if certain solutions are not available.

At a high-level, creating any IPv6 implementation without any security
solutions is a problematic,
IMO.  If IBM, Nokia or any other company would sell an IPv6 stack as
part of a  solution that provided
no security, I don't think that would be very good or useful. I think
some aspects of security
needs to be a MUST as part of an overall IPv6 stack, however, there are
many choices and parts of
a potential solution.  I think we should look at what the overall IETF
concensus for a minimum
requirement would be.

My question is, does the IETF have any such consensus?

John