That is a good point, does IPsec depend on unanimous support?  We
struggled with this in the DoD Profiles.  Our rationale for making IPsec
mandatory (except at the moment for some simple appliances) was that for
IPsec to be a feasible solution it needs to be available throughout the
network.  We want it to be universally available so that it CAN be used
when required.  With end-to-end, any two hosts could use IPsec as a
solution even if no one else supported it, assuming that nothing in the
network blocks its use.  However, given recent news items about ISPs and
governments wanting to block or throttle certain content, it seems they
might also want to block something that could hide that content from
their prying eyes.

Even if the revision were to relax the requirement for IPsec (and I
don't suggest it should) I believe there should be a strong statement
about non-interference in the Node Requirements so that consenting hosts
can count on the delivery of packets with IPsec options.

As Thomas said a while back, de-mandating IPsec would not make it go
away, nor would it remove market incentive for vendors to implement it,
so existing and new implementations would still be available.  DoD would
likely still require it in products, so if a vendor wanted to sell to
DoD it would be in their interest to include IPsec.  As always, just my
personal opinion, not to be construed as policy...

Ed J.