Hi Thomas,

2008/2/27, Thomas Narten <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> John,

[snip]

>  And even today, IPv6 only mandates IPsec (with manual keys). No key
>  managment.  And if there is one thing we have learned from practical
>  deployments, it's all about key mangement/distribution. That is the
>  hard stuff that makes or breaks usability.
>
>  Mandating IPsec with just static keying just isn't useful in practice.
>
>  Thus, continuing to mandate IPsec (while continuing to punt on key
>  management) just looks silly.

IMHO, mandating IPsec allows a "Better-Than-Nothing" security (c) :-)

Just a quick example:
Assume that one day, someone finds a security hole in a protocol used
for a specific service and having its own security mechanism. With
IPsec, even with manual configuration, you will be able to continue to
provide this service until a review of the protocol because you know
that the peers have a IPsec implementation. That should limit a
service disruption due to a security issue.

Best regards.

JMC.