I strongly disagree.

If IPsec is not mandatory for hosts, then it MUST (if anything) be
mandatory for security gateways, NOT routers, with the exception perhaps
of securing the routing protocols. Reason being, you cannot achieve
security unless cybertext only goes through non-secure networks.

What you call "edge routers" I call security gateways. These are likely
routers, but they must not be confused with just any ole ISP router, or
router in any other core network that is not "secure" as far as the
client is concerned.

I think it's important not to give anyone the illusion of security.

Bert