From: Fred Baker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: Gabi Nakibly <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: Pekka Savola <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; ipv6@ietf.org; Iljitsch van Beijnum
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Tuesday, March 18, 2008 2:33:15 PM
Subject: Re: RFC3484 destination address selection rule 2 is buggy

On Mar 18, 2008, at 5:10 AM, Gabi Nakibly wrote:

> Determining whether the destination address is in the zone of a
> source address can be tricky. However, it is fairly easy in the
> common case where the source address is link-local and the
> destination address is global. If the latter is not on-link, than
> it is not in the zone of the link-local source address and this
> source address should not be included in the candidate set. If the
> above rule will be applied in the scenario of http://tools.ietf.org/
> html/draft-ietf-v6ops-v6onbydefault-03, the candidate set of the v6
> address will be empty and therefore it will be avoided by
> destination address selection rule 1.

Speaking for myself, there is a simpler rule in that special case
that imght be instructive in the ULA case.

There is no sense in using a link-local address as a source address
unless one is sending to someone on the same LAN. Hence, there is no
sense in suing a link-local address as the source if one cannot also
use one in the destination.

Similarly, there is no sense using a ULA source address unless the
destination is in the same ULA. If the destination is a global
address it might or might not be able to reply, but the sender can't
tell.

Hence, in sender address choice:
  - use a link-local source address if and only if the destination
is a link-local address
  - use a ULA source address if and only if the destination is a ULA
in the same prefix
  - otherwise, use a global address