On Thu, 27 Mar 2008, JINMEI Tatuya / ???? wrote:
>> The scenario where a router advertises the default route yet does not
>> advertise any prefix information (or prefix information does not set
>> the autoconfig bit) is still a valid scenario (e.g., I could imagine
>> DHCPv6-only deployments using this; in fact I believe if you want to
>> run DHCPv6-only this is the only choice to for deploying default
>> route) and it should be addressed.
>
> In this case I'd expect the host has a valid global address obtained
> through DHCPv6, so the original assumption in this thread (link-local
> only host) doesn't hold (unless you're talking about the very short
> period after receiving an RA and before getting a global address via
> DHCPv6).

I'm thinking of failure modes such as the DHCPv6 server being down and
the node being unable to get global-scope addresses, yet getting the
default route.

One could say that this is an operational problem but my argument is
that this would be a common-enough scenario that our protocols should
be robust enough to route around this particular failure if there is a
chance to do so (e.g. by default address selection choosing to use
IPv4 instead).