On Mon, May 26, 2008 at 5:12 PM, Suresh Krishnan
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi Bernd,
>
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I'm contacting you as I've a question regarding the Hop-by-Hop header
>> option 'Router Alert' and its exact use. I hope I don't disturb you...
>
> I am generally against any new proposal that uses hop by hop options
> (including router alerts) since they could increase the processing loads
> on intermediate routers and could be used as a DoS vector,

most larger ip backbones today don't pay attention (drop/ignore)
Router-Alert ip-options in ipv4, I don't expect that trend to change
in ipv6... If you are planning on using hop-by-hop or router-alert in
ipv6 you probably are planning on a failed solution.

-chris