Sebastien Roy wrote:
On Tue, 2008-06-24 at 18:06 +0900, Yukiyo Akisada wrote:
I have a question about upper-layer reachability confirmation defined in RFC
4861.

When the neighbor cache state for the default router is STALE
and the host sends a packet to off-link,
the default router sends redirect packet to the host.

Can the host considers that the default router is REACHABLE?

Personally, I didn't expected this behavior.
But I found that an implementation behaves like this
when I'm developping the conformance tester.

How do you think about this behavior?

That seems reasonable to me.  The host sent a packet to the router, and
the router responded with one of its own which was received by the host.
This is bi-directional reachability.

It's reasonable as long as the implementation doing so can correctly identify
that it sent the packet triggering the redirect.  If the implementation
can do so, it can assume bi-directional communication.

Personally, I wouldn't consider this upper layer indication, since Redirect
is not strictly upper layer.

-vlad