I understand that the topic has a fair bit of history, but could someone
please re-explain the use-case that justifies keeping such
cross-subnet-but-hey-no-router behaviour?
Personally I see little value in it in today's world of home routers,
but plenty of potential for confusion for users if not downright
additional security issues for operators.

-Woj.