Funny, I interpreted Tim's statement to be another example of "Something
that will break if we change this" ... :)

This discussion goes back aways ...
        January 1995 --> http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc1752#section-9
        August 2002 --> http://osdir.com/ml/ietf.ipv6/2002-08/msg00190.html
(great comments therein!)
        July 2008 -->
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-6man-reserved-iids-01  (things you may
step on beyond 64b)

We could also have a discussion on the inherit value in fixed length things
... like the IPv6 header itself (vs IPv4's variable length header) ...

My question would be -
        Are we seeking to understand why a fixed 64b boundary was created in
the first place?
        Are we trying to modify the standard to change this?
                (And if so - are we ready to actually face the world with
that statement, and to "operationalize" this?)

(Obviously, my opinion on this matter (some might say bias) is clear ... but
for what I believe are good, technical reasons :) )
/TJ