TJ wrote:
Funny, I interpreted Tim's statement to be another example of "Something
that will break if we change this" ... :)

This discussion goes back aways ...
        January 1995 --> http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc1752#section-9
        August 2002 --> http://osdir.com/ml/ietf.ipv6/2002-08/msg00190.html
(great comments therein!)
        July 2008 -->
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-6man-reserved-iids-01  (things you may
step on beyond 64b)

We could also have a discussion on the inherit value in fixed length things
... like the IPv6 header itself (vs IPv4's variable length header) ...

My question would be - Are we seeking to understand why a fixed 64b boundary was created in
the first place?
        Are we trying to modify the standard to change this?

WEll I think there's a draft that led to this discussion but I don't think that draft tries to achieve this 64bit boundary extension. I'm not sure what's the position of the draft with respect to this discussion.

                (And if so - are we ready to actually face the world with
that statement, and to "operationalize" this?)

I'm more like wait and see what happens and if it goes the direction I like I'm ready to jump on it.

Alex

(Obviously, my opinion on this matter (some might say bias) is clear ... but
for what I believe are good, technical reasons :) )
/TJ