<snipped from Ralph's posting>
>>> One part of the situation that may have changed - or, perhaps, wasn't
>>> considered - is the case of implementors reading RFC 486[12] without
>>> the knowledge of previous discussions of the M/O flags.  How will
>>> those implementors interpret the text in RFCs 486[12] and 246[12], and
>>> how will they implement stack behavior for the M/O flags?

Personally I had same questions when I started to implement DHCPv6
clients for our products. Though RFC4861[2] do not specifiy specific
behaviors on client's side, I could refer to existing implementations
like Vista, opensource from IBM, other vendors' web sites and
specification of TAHI conformance testsuit and also, deprectated
RFC2461[2].
IMO, even though more clarifications will be inserted as Ralph
suggested, the situation will be remain same.

If it is correct that M/O bits do not have any values and just results
unnecessary complexity as Thomas, Bernie, and Ted commented, I also
think that new document is necessary to deprecate M/O bits effectively
because current RFCs specify the purpose of M/O bits clearly and sound
to leave usages for M/O bits to implementors' choice temporarily.

However, if current consensus is that the bits are useful and have no
harm, I believe that the issues such as revoking clients and conflict
flags should be addressed clearly.

Joseph