Hello, James

> If the point is to somehow "save resources" by turning off DHCP when
> not wanted, isn't that really more of a client implementation issue
> than it is a protocol issue?  The existing M/O bits only suggest when
> starting DHCP might be good.  It's up to implementations to determine
> whether to start it, and if so when to quit.

Right. This is closer to my point.
However, by looking the below text, I am not clear that usage of M/O flags is
removed because it is not a protocol issue but an implementational one.

<from RFC4862>
      Removed the text regarding the M and O flags, considering the
      maturity of implementations and operational experiences.
      ManagedFlag and OtherConfigFlag were removed accordingly.  (Note
      that this change does not mean the use of these flags is
      deprecated.)
</RFC4862>

<from RFC4861>
      M              1-bit "Managed address configuration" flag.  When
                     set, it indicates that addresses are available via
                     Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol [DHCPv6].

                     If the M flag is set, the O flag is redundant and
                     can be ignored because DHCPv6 will return all
                     available configuration information.

      O              1-bit "Other configuration" flag.  When set, it
                     indicates that other configuration information is
                     available via DHCPv6.  Examples of such information
                     are DNS-related information or information on other
                     servers within the network.

        Note: If neither M nor O flags are set, this indicates that no
        information is available via DHCPv6.
</RFC4861>

What I am wondering is what is the design rationale behind M and O bits. Why
should DHCPv6 clients be controlled/instructed/guided by RA messages?
I guess that there might be more than resource saving. DHCPv6 protocol provides
address(and prefixes) and additional configuration parameters like DNS servers,
etc. However, it does not provide default gateway and prefix length, which may
be givne by only RA. IMHO, this design decision shows that stateful address
configuration though DHCPv6 should be integrated with RA (an IPv6 core
protocol) and controlled/instructed/guided by RA messages as stateless address
autoconfiguration is.

As long as current architecture(or situation) is supported, I still believe
that our draft has value to provide a right guidance on the usage of M/O flags
to implementors.

Joseph