From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Ralph Droms
Sent: Monday, October 13, 2008 1:47 PM
To: Thomas Narten
Cc: DHC WG; IPV6 List Mailing
Subject: Re: Brokenness of specs w.r.t. client behavior with M&O bits

<snip>

It may also be the case that we want to reconsider our previous
consensus, to give an explicit answer to the question about when to
run DHCPv6.  draft-cha-ipv6-ra-mo-00.txt gives one possible
redefinition for those bits.  We have other suggestions ranging from
"ignore M/O and always run DHCPv6" to "revert to RFC 246[12] and
disallow DHCPv6 if M/O flags aren't set".  In my opinion, the former
suggestion sounds perfectly reasonable as a way to simplify the specs
and the implementations - I have heard it the necessary APIs to get
the status of M/O flags to a userland DHCPv6 client may not exist in
some OSes.  The latter makes sense if there is a compelling reason to
guarantee there is no DHCPv6 traffic on a link.

- Ralph

</snip>