Teemu,

On 2008-10-30 18:42, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Brian,
>
> (changed topic to be more descriptive)
>
>>> Consider cellular host case:
>>> - host implements e.g. ND proxy and DHCPv6 PD for WAN connection
>>> sharing
>>> - host attaches to a network where only DHCPv6 happens to be used
>>> - host gets single /128 IPv6 address from DHCPv6
>>> - host tries to get some prefixes for its LAN interface with DHCPv6
>>> PD, but network's policy rejects the prefix request
>>>
>>> Now what can host do? Tell user that the currently attached network
>>> does not allow network connection sharing feature?
>> Yes. The "host" in this case is actually behaving as a CPE,
>> and it can report the fact that it's only able to get one address.
>>
>> The bug here is that the ISP is handing out a /128 instead of
>> a /48, /56 or /64. That's a business issue, and the user needs
>> to find a more reasonable ISP.
>
> Well I'm not completely certain whether involving users here would
> provide very good experience,

I see your argument, but failing silently doesn't seem like a
good idea.

> and certainly operators would not be happy
> to see vendors' devices complaining about limitations of their network:)

Too bad. This is actually a consumer protection issue;
it seems completely appropriate to require that the
reason for failure should be notified to the paying user.

> IMHO network that is giving out only /128 to hosts that are providing
> "network sharing feature" is forcefully creating "localized IPv6 address
> space exhaustion scenario" for the hosts, which I fear may be tackled
> with mechanisms familiar from IPv4 address exhaustion scenarios, i.e.
> with IPv6 NAPT.

Correct. That's why we should make sure it's clearly defined as
a failure condition.

> I would not like to see IPv6 NAPT, but I see that as a real risk if
> network is using DHCPv6 for allocating hosts just /128 addresses but at
> the same time is not willing to delegate prefixes on demand.

Agreed.

    Brian