Hi Joseph,

>Right as long as DHCPv6 server can assign only one address to the host.
>One more thing I would like to know is whether the host is
>allowed to configure multiple arbitrary addresses in the
>scenario of SLAAC plus ND proxy in the service provider's
>view. If other hosts in LAN configure addresses through SLAAC
>plus ND proxy, outbound traffics forwarded by the host acting
>as a gateway have unknown source IPv6 addresses while source
>MAC address is same. Are there any issues on this point?

The host is allowed to pick whatever IID it wants and also to implement
RFC4941 privacy extensions.

In 3GPP access the link between host acting as a gateway and access
router is a point-to-point tunneled link, where MAC addresses are not
used. Actually hosts do not necessarily even have MAC address available.

The access router acts just based on prefixes and thus number of
addresses can be configured into simultaneous use from the /64 prefix
host is allocated with.

>Since DHCPv6 server is also able to assign multiple addresses
>to single client depending on the poliy, the host can activate
>its server with the assigned address except the one used by
>itself if it has
>DHCPv6 server installed. Then, other hosts in LAN can
>configure their addresses through DHCPv6 which might be
>invoked by proxed RA. Yes, this approach shows more
>restriction than SLAAC plus ND proxy apparently.

Sounds otherwise feasible approach, but that requires the other hosts to
support DHCPv6, which isn't always the case as DHCPv6 support is not
mandatory, right? At least currently not supported by all IPv6 enabled
hosts.

Best regards,

        Teemu