Hello.

LW-IGMPv3/LW-MLDv2 is being publushed by mboned WG
(draft-ietf-mboned-lightweight-igmpv3-mldv2) and consequently,
IPv6 Node Requirements is being updated in the 6man WG
(draft-ietf-6man-node-req-bis).

The node requirement says (in the section 5.7 in the -02 version):

|5.7. Multicast Listener Discovery (MLD) for IPv6 - RFC 2710
|

|   Nodes that need to join multicast groups MUST support MLDv1
|   [RFC3590].  MLDv1 is needed by any node that is expected to receive
|   and process multicast traffic.  Note that Neighbor Discovery (as used
|   on most link types -- see Section 5.2) depends on multicast and
|   requires that nodes join Solicited Node multicast addresses.
|
|   Nodes that need to join multicast groups SHOULD implement MLDv2
|   [RFC3810].  However, if the node has applications that only need
|   support for Any-Source Multicast [RFC3569], the node MAY implement
|   MLDv1 [RFC2710] instead.  If the node has applications that need
|   support for Source-Specific Multicast [RFC3569], [RFC4607], the node
|   MUST support MLDv2 [RFC3810].  In all cases, nodes are strongly
|   encouraged to implement MLDv2 rather than MLDv1, as the presence of a
|   single MLDv1 participant on a link requires that all other nodes on
|   the link operate in version 1 compatability mode.
|
|   When MLDv1 is used, the rules in the Source Address Selection for the
|   Multicast Listener Discovery (MLD) Protocol [RFC3590] MUST be
|   followed.

IMHO, we WG might want to update this text after LW-IGMPv3/MLDv2 has been
publushed.  Otherwise, all nodes that has applications need SSM MUST implement
"full" MLDv2 (RFC3569, RFC4607) anyway, instead of LW-MLDv2; MLDv2 is not only
for the wire format but also for state processing.

YOSHIFUJI Hideaki @ USAGI Project  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
GPG-FP  : 9022 65EB 1ECF 3AD1 0BDF  80D8 4807 F894 E062 0EEA