At Wed, 07 Jan 2009 09:23:47 +0100 (CET),
sth...@nethelp.no wrote:

> > Routing and forwarding decisions are completely independent of what
> > addresses are configured on the interface. Contrary to IPv4 behavior,
> > the configuration of an address using P::/64 prefix does not
> > automatically add a route to the P::/64 prefix. What prefixes are
> > on-link is determined by
> >
> > a) on a router - by configuration
> > b) on a host - by information contained in the RAs
>
> It may be sacrilege to mention it in this group - but b) here is
> certainly not the only view of how things work (or for that matter
> how they *should* work). For instance - FreeBSD 7.x needs explicit
> configuration to turn on IPv6. If IPv6 is turned on, you can configure
> a static IPv6 address (for instance a /64 prefix) for an interface -
> and this will indeed add a route to this /64 network. Or you can use
> various types of autoconfiguration.

As you seem to indicate, this should rather be considered an
implementation details, but this FreeBSD's behavior should be viewed
as a shortcut of configuring both an address and an on-link prefix by
a single operation, rather than an instance that "configuring an
address automatically adds a route to the /64 prefix" (I know that,
because I designed and implemented it:-).  In fact, the FreeBSD kernel
internally maintains addresses and prefixes separately, and in that
sense it rather diligently follows the model that Suresh explained.
It adopts the "shortcut" behavior as a compromise for existing
operators who are very familiar with IPv4 operations and would expect
the same side effect.

---
JINMEI, Tatuya
Internet Systems Consortium, Inc.