Hi Remi,
  Thanks you for catching this.

On 02/03/09 10:16 AM, Rémi Denis-Courmont wrote:

Overall, I think this document should go forward.

Great.

However, the recommendation part should perhaps be a bit more explicit. I
assume the recipient node should not trash packets with a matching source,
destination and fragment ID *forever*, but rather within a reasonable time
frame.

Yes. You are right. The text in the draft is misleading. After further thought I felt that this text was extraneous anyway and can be safely removed. So, I propose the following change to this section.

OLD:
 IPv6 nodes that receive a fragment
   that overlaps with a previously received fragment MUST cease the
   reassembly process and MUST ignore further fragments with the same
   IPv6 Source Address, IPv6 Destination Address and Fragment
   Identification.  It MUST also discard the previously received
   fragments with the same IPv6 Source Address, IPv6 Destination Address
   and Fragment Identification.

NEW:
 IPv6 nodes that receive a fragment
   that overlaps with a previously received fragment MUST cease the
   reassembly process and MUST discard the previously received
   fragments with the same IPv6 Source Address, IPv6 Destination Address
   and Fragment Identification.

My reasoning was that the 60 second reassembly rule of RFC2460 would automatically take care of "ignoring" the further fragments coming in with the same Fragment Identification. Is this acceptable?

Thanks
Suresh