Hi Everyone,
Is there a notion that auto-configured IPv6 addresses based on
globally unique prefixes are transient compared to manually configured
ones?
I know that we could configure them to have infinite lifetimes & such,
but I am thinking of a large IPv6 deployment where these addresses are
expected to be up 24/7. I mean, just the fact that lifetimes could be
modified on the router, the advertising router could become
unreachable etc.

As an IPv6 application developer, would I have to factor in this
"transiency" of autoconf addresses in my design all the time? How safe
& normal
is it to replace all manual IPv6 address configuration with
auto-configuration in a large IPv6 deployment esp in an environment
that is very sensitive
to non-availability of addresses?

Another related question, is it common for a site's global prefix(es)
to change? In this regard, are they any different from an IANA
assigned IPv4
network-id for example?

Thanks & Regards
Vijay