I'm missing something that is probably obvious.

Doesn't the home modem, or "residential gateway," have hard-coded in it the
unique IPv6 prefix for each home? If yes, then why would a home PC host not
always have a unique IPv6 address, even if the MAC address might be duplicated
in some other home on the broadcast domain?

And why would ND conducted inside a home go beyond the "residential gateway"?

I think I understand the problem being addressed here, but it seems to apply
only if all the homes passed by the "last mile" broadcast domain is using the
same IPv6 prefix.

Bert