On Nov 20, 2009, at 1:16 PM, Stig Venaas wrote:

My point is that if say the spacing is 10ms and the RTT is 100ms, you
will needlessly be trying many pairs (up to 10) before you realize that
perhaps the first you tried actually works.

My first point is that if you don't wait multiple seconds for every timeout, you can get a reasonble RTT for the SYN/SYN-ACK and prevent people from turning off IPv6 in the first place.

My second point is that assumptions like "the best path is through a prefix we both use" are silly. Analysis of a common traceroute will show that two random users tend to use two random ISPs. So a routing policy tat starts from "assume both users are using the same prefix" is a lost cause. Start from the assumption that you're looking for an address pair that works, and as a second choice, works well for a given ISP pair.