Hi Thomas,

On Tue, 01 Dec 2009 09:12:44 -0500
Thomas Narten <nar...@us.ibm.com> wrote:

> Mark Smith <i...@69706e6720323030352d30312d31340a.nosense.org> writes:
>
> > I think a "prefix redirect" mechanism is justified because it provides
> > more optimal forwarding for inter-CPE traffic. I only brought up
> > the LI issue and addressed it because that seemed to be the only
> > objection there was to the idea when I suggested it before. I don't
> > think it is a valid concern, and if the IETF has decided not to
> > consider LI type requirements, then it is one less thing any drafts have
> > to address and document.
>
> A prefix redirect is a minor performance optimization over the current
> redirects we have.
>
> I remain skeptical that such a redirect is needed and provides
> sufficient value.
>
> Note that this is not the first time such a redirect was suggested.
> It's been discussed in the past, but there was never really enough
> support for it to go forward.
>
> As always, what exactly is the problem that needs solving here? I'm
> not talking about a generic "possible" performance benenfit in "some
> cases". What specifically do we see happening in real (or planned)
> deployments that justifies this sort of enhancement?

I'm still a bit confused about Fred's scenario, however here is the one
I've been thinking about.

Broadband Forum TR-101 describes using Ethernet instead of ATM for
backhaul. This technology has been deployed here in Australia quite
significantly over the last 5 years.

The common deployment model for IPv4 over ADSL in these networks is
PPPoE, resulting in hair pinning of traffic between subscribers when
they're attached to the same ethernet segment. PPPoE makes
broadband look like high speed dialup, which allowed ISPs to introduce
broadband fairly rapidly without having to change their backend
authentication/billing systems etc. The drawback is the overheads of
potential authentication failures due to username/password errors, when
the ISP already knows who the subscriber is (i.e. they know where they
live), and the PPPoE 8 byte per packet cost which is to essentially
convert the multi-access nature of Ethernet into a point-to-point
service, resembling dialup.

The number of subscribers attached to an exchange/central office can be
small enough that installing redundant layer 3 infrastructure in each
exchange/C.O. can be cost prohibitive. Instead, in each exchange/C.O.,
only ADSL/Ethernet infrastructure is deployed. The supporting layer 3
equipment is located at a more central location, providing layer 3 to
multiple exchanges/C.O.s, over high speed backhaul. Depending on the
size or number of the layer 3 equipment you wish to operate, your
physical geography, and the cost of backhaul bandwidth, the number of
subscribers attached to the same layer 2 segment may number in the many
thousands.

If IPv6 was deployed "natively" over the ADSL/Ethernet backhaul in this
scenario (i.e. a multi-access segment, rather than an engineered
point-to-point one a la. PPPoE), you then have 1 or more likely 2
service provider routers (with e.g. VRRP), and potentially a large
number of downstream subscriber routers, a.k.a. CPE, with /48s
or /56s behind them.

The provider routers will have static routes pointing towards the
subscriber CPE for the /48s / /56s, while the subscriber CPE will have
a default route towards the provider routers.

With the potential for 1000s of subscriber CPE being layer 2
neighbours, as well as traffic having to be hair-pinned offsite for
inter-subscriber traffic, an optimisation would be to have the
subscriber CPE aware of it's on-link neighbour CPE's downstream
prefixes. This would reduce latency for that traffic, reduce required
backhaul bandwidth, and eliminate the hair-pinned traffic from entering
and leaving the provider routers, helping to increase the number of
subscribers who could be attached to this domain.

All the current methods I can think of that could be used to achieve
this optimisation have scaling and/or trust limitations:

- static routes in the subscriber CPE requires excessive operational
  overhead, and if subscribers own the CPE (which is the common
  situation here in .au), you're probably asking Mums (moms) and Dads to
  be (trusted) network operators, entering 100s or 1000s of static
  routes.

- dynamic routing is unlikely to be able to cope with the number of
  neighbour adjacencies it has to maintain, and if subscribers own the
  CPE, again they probably need to be network operators. The number of
  prefixes being distributed via the dynamic routing protocol may also
  be beyond the capabilities of the typical IGPs and the CPE CPUs that
  it's running on.

- possibly RAs with the route information option could be traded
  between the subscriber CPE and provider routers, however that would
  require inter-router RA support, and also would possibly encounter
  some of the trust and scaling issues that using traditional dynamic
  routing protocols would.

It seems to me that something like a prefix redirect, sent from the
provider routers to the subscriber CPE when traffic is to be
hair-pinned, would be a better solution. It retains the
topology authority that the provider routers have over the the segment,
avoids subscribers having to become network operators, and because it
is reactive to traffic flow, is, with appropriate controls e.g.
per-CPE rate limits on generation, more scalable than the proactive
dynamic methods like an IGP.

I started working on a draft a few weeks ago to propose this. It seems
that there might be overlap with Fred's draft, which is why I suggested
that it could a scenario that could be addressed in his.

Regards,
Mark.