Brian
> E Carpenter
> 发送时间: 2009年12月9日 5:40
> 收件人: Xu Xiaohu
> 抄送: eric.bur...@orange-ftgroup.com; x...@cernet.edu.cn; beh...@ietf.org
> 主题: [BEHAVE] address-format: bits 64 to 71
>
> On 2009-12-08 21:54, Xu Xiaohu wrote:

If
> the answer is yes, why? (In other words, is there any practical
meaning/usage
> for that constraint in the IPv4/IPv6 translation process?)
>
> I thought we'd discussed that a lot. Maybe it was not on the BEHAVE list.

Yes, we had discussed that in both SOFTWIRE and BEHAVE WG mailing-lists (see
the previous discussion thread:
http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/softwires/current/msg00850.html.).
However, we have not got any reasonable enough answer.

> The idea of protecting the semantics of the u/g bit (which is most cleanly
> done by skipping the whole byte) is that it is a very fundamental part of
> the IPv6 design and we simply do not know when or how it might be relied
> on. It may have no value in currently understood cases of 1:1
communication
> via a NAT64, but we don't know where it might be important in p2p
communications,
> referrals, etc.

The following statement is quoted from RFC 4291:
   "IPv6 nodes are not required to validate that interface identifiers
   created with modified EUI-64 tokens with the "u" bit set to universal
   are unique.

   The use of the universal/local bit in the Modified EUI-64 format
   identifier is to allow development of future technology that can take
   advantage of interface identifiers with universal scope."

Till now, we haven't known the real usage of this constraint yet. So we
should reverently obey such a constraint whose future usage is still
uncertain.

Maybe a compromised way is to release this constraint on the IPv4-embeded
IPv6 addresses which can be used for stateless IPv4/IPv6 translation and
6over4 automatic tunneling while remaining it for native IPv6 address
auto-configuration in case using a /64 prefix.

> Also, this WG doesn't own the address format. Changing this would need the
> consensus of 6man.

OK, I have added the 6man in the cc. Look forward to a clear conclusion
after discussing it in the 6man mailing-list.

Xiaohu