On Thu, Jan 07, 2010 at 03:18:43AM +0100, Brian E Carpenter wrote:

> Surely we can never hope to eliminate the need for converting to a
> a canonical form before comparing. The canonical form for machine
> comparisons is fairly obvious - a 128 bit binary number. The question
> seems to be whether we can define a canonical form for eyeball comparisons.

> I thought the idea of this work was to help humans by minimising the
> variability in the "printed" version of an address.

The motivation is not just eyeball comparison by humans as explained
in section 3 of the ID. IP addresses are stored in many places in a
textual form where the options of automated search and comparison are
textual and conversion to a 128-bit binary number for comparison is
often not a realistic option. Section 3 of the ID discusses some
examples.

/js

Phone: +49 421 200 3587         Campus Ring 1, 28759 Bremen, Germany