Let me re-send the following e-mail.
It did not make it to 6man ml web archive.

---

Hi,

>>> Missing a Pro that I consider significant:
>>>
>>> - Users will no longer experience multi-second connection
>> delays due
>>>  to IPv6's address selection.  This means more users will
>>>  leave IPv6 enabled.
>>
>> not due to IPv6's address selection, but due to IPv6 connection
>> failure, aren't they ?
>
> The connection failure is caused by incorrect address selection.
>
> I don't see how to separate the two.
>
> And users don't care -- they simply disable IPv6 if it slows
> down their experience.

>>> It's really the applications that have to change so that they
>>> are more aggressively going through the getaddrinfo()-sorted
>>> addresses to get a connection established.

>>> Not a problem caused by, or limited to, Fred's proposal.
>> Ignoring Fred's
>>> proposal for a second, RFC3484 address selection policies
>> could be wrong (as
>>> we all know) and perhaps they should be able to
>> learn/notice failures.
>>
>> This is what I meant by the combination with Fred's proposal and
>> policy distribution.
>>
>> Of course, it is beneficial to have this combination, but
>> such caches are not essential for policy distribution way.

>> decrease network
>>>
>>> That amount of extra traffic is tied to how caching and
>> dynamic learning might
>>> be specified.  We could, if this is a sensitive issue,
>> specify that things
>>> work as slowly as today (e.g., multi-second second
>> connection timeouts before
>>> trying another IP address).  However, this creates a very
>> poor user experience
>>> which today can only be resolved by the user disabling
>> IPv6!  We do not want
>>> people disabling IPv6 to improve their user experience, but
>> that is their only
>>> choice today.
>>
>> There are so many reasons that makes users disable IPv6, such as
>> network unreachability, and application IPv6 related
>> mal-functioning,...
>> This proposal does not solve all the cases.
>
> I am hoping to reduce reasons that users might disable IPv6.

Agree.

>> if they use
>>>
>>> Not a problem caused by, or limited to, Fred's proposal.
>>
>> I cannot get why.
>>
>> If the kernel caches address selection information, it
>> has to have connection success/failure information.
>
> Yes, and that works even for UDP:
>
> a. the OS can see an incoming UDP response packet,
>    because almost every protocol is a request/response protocol

almost every, but not every protocol.

And, that does not mean almost every user does not experience
this problem.

> or:
> b. the OS can see the application gave up on one socket
>    and is trying another socket.  This indicates the application
>    was -- for whatever reason -- 'displeased' with the address
>    selection made by the OS.

This looks another troublemaking mechanism.
Can the operating system really tell it's application
gave-up or successful socket close ?

> (b) seems implementable in the OS, and seems appealing.

I cannot see it's implementable without any harm.

Kindest regards,