In message <4bb783a3.3020...@redpill-linpro.com>, Tore Anderson writes:
> Hi Mark,
>
> * Mark Andrews
>
> > You turn IPv6 on a service at a time.  Turn it on for delay tolerent
> > services.  e.g. SMTP.  Turn it of for services which try different
> > servers quickly.  e.g. DNS.  Turn it on for the client side.
>
> Sure thing, I've already done some of those, but it won't really change
> much.  There's no real reason for a end-user to contact my SMTP or DNS
> servers directly, as he will normally relay e-mail/DNS queries via his
> own ISPs servers anyway.  And the fact that all the workstations at my
> office have native IPv6 connectivity doesn't have any effect on all the
> broken end users in other networks.

Except it does, people saying we have IPv6 connectivity and it
didn't break things will cause more people to turn on IPv6 as a
production service which will disable the automatic transition
mechanisms.

> The problematic service is without question the web sites.
>
> > There may be few place to connect to now but the ratio of good to
> > bad will get better as more people turn up IPv6 as a production
> > service on the client side.
>
> Absolutely.  I'm sure that at some point in the future there'll be more
> end users able to connect to a dualstacked web site than there is end
> users able to connect to a IPv4-only site.  At that point you'll see
> lots of IPv6 content showing up.  No problem.
>
> However, when will that point in time be?

Well we've had dual stack servers for years now so for us that point
has long ago passed.  We log bug reports when a service is not
available over IPv6 as well as IPv4.

--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: ma...@isc.org