Hi Brian,

On Fri, 16 Apr 2010 11:50:28 +1200
Brian E Carpenter <brian.e.carpen...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Mark,
>
> > Are you generally trying to avoid it because it would appear to be an
> > implied IETF definition of a flow, rather than just the IPv6
> > definition? Or is it to avoid having to start defining the a possibly
> > large set of flow definitions?
>
> Actually, because I have enough email to deal with right now anyway :-)
>
> Your proposed definition looks reasonable, but the IPFIX people have
> a rather different definition:
>
> "A flow is defined as a set of IP packets passing an observation point
>  in the network during a certain time interval.  All packets belonging
>  to a particular flow have a set of common properties....
>  A flow is considered to be expired if no packet of this flow has been
>  observed for a given timeout interval" [RFC3917]
>
> The crucial difference is the tiemout. In the observational world
> of IPFIX, a flow is deemed to end when there is a certain period of
> silence. So a stop-start flow meeting your definition might be
> broken up into multiple flows by IPFIX. That's where things get vague.

My understanding is that IPFIX is generally an IETF standardised
version of Cisco's Netflow. In Netflow, timeouts are needed for a
few reasons:

o A timeout is used to expire flows for protocols that aren't
connection oriented  (e.g. UDP) or the implementation doesn't know
are connection oriented because the implementation doesn't understand
the protocol. When the timeout occurs, a netflow record is emitted
towards the netflow collector, and the router clears the netflow cache
entry for the flow.

o Long lived TCP connections may go for long enough that people want
to know partial flow information about them. This timeout is an upper
bound on how long a flow can continue before a netflow record is
emitted. The TCP flow stays active in the flow cache, so there will be
at least another netflow record at the end of the TCP connection or if
the flow cache becomes full and the flow is punted from it.

So those timeouts are more to do with emission of flow records, and
flow cache maintenance, rather than being a more general definition of
what a flow is.

Regards,
Mark.