On Apr 20, 2010, at 15:42, Suresh Krishnan wrote:

> Simple. All future IPv6 extension headers will use the same next header value
> (the one allocated for the GIEH). Anything else can be considered a unknown
> upper layer header.

That's proposed informally in the draft, but it doesn't appear to be formalized
in any way, which is why I wasn't sure that it would be safe for packet
analyzers to assume they could identify all the extension headers.  (Grmf.  And
I'm nominally a co-author on the draft.)

I'd say there are two changes we should make to Section 6, IANA Considerations,
in the next revision:

+ instruct IANA to reserve GIEH sub-type values for experimental purposes and
cite RFC 3692.

+ instruct IANA to require a *separate* IETF standards action to allow IPv6
extension headers to be numbered from the assigned protocol number database
*before* assigning any such numbers to a new extension header.

--
james woodyatt <j...@apple.com>
member of technical staff, communications engineering