"we didn't pay enough attention" is a very kind way to put it. The entire SNMP
exercise was about monitoring; those like me who tried to make things writable
pushed rocks uphill politically. That, and the experience of trying to make
event triggered management rather than poll-driven management, is the major
reason that I, personally, don't want to have anything to do with network
management in the IETF.