On 2010-12-02 22:17, RFC Errata System wrote:

> The following errata report has been submitted for RFC5952, "A
> Recommendation for IPv6 Address Text Representation".
[..]
> Historically from the 1960's, hexidecimal digits other than decimal
> digits are represented by upper case letters.  Lower case letters may
> have become acceptable as user input, but such resulted from lazy
> programmers who couldn't manage to hit the shift key on their
> keyboards.

Welcome to 2010!

I also want to state that I find the above text absolutely insulting to
any programmer on this planet and even in galaxies far far away.

> However, lower case is not acceptable for digit output.
> Many early assemblers would not even accept lower case as valid input
> digits except where the radix base exceeded 36 (thus exhausting all
> upper case values).  This poor programming practice should not be
> allowed to be codified into any Internet standard.

There is nothing 'poor' about outputting lower case characters which are
in the same optical spectrum as the numeric values of hex.

I really do not support any such change and I sincerely hope that the
RFC Editor removes this ad hominem attack to all programmers.

Greets,
 Jeroen