Hi Brian,
  Please see response inline.

Correct. But the reason that this part got added to the draft
was that firewall vendors wanted to differentiate between
unknown extension headers and unknown transport protocols and
possibly treat them in a different way. E.g. Section  3.2.2 of

http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-v6ops-cpe-simple-security-16

Specifies one such need.

Thanks
Suresh