Hi Fernando,
 Please see response inline.

Yes. You are correct. This proposal will not be useful for such
firewalls. On the other hand

http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-v6ops-cpe-simple-security-16

allows a class of firewalls that can put application transparency
over strict filtering (see REC-11). In such case differentiating
an unknown transport layer protocol from an unknown extension
header would be useful. Whether or not such firewall would exist
in the wild is an interesting question, but I do not see how to
answer that conclusively.

Thanks
Suresh