On Thu, Feb 3, 2011 at 10:11 PM, Joel M. Halpern <j...@joelhalpern.com> wrote:
> Lets be a little careful here:
> 1) If we say "No Extension Headers for intermediate processing", and "No Hop
> By Hop Options", then we are saying that we do not want any extensions
> intended to be processed in intermediate routers.  While I personally like
> that, I want to make really sure that we understand that is what we are
> saying.

My feeling is this:
hop-by-hop processing will happen in slow-path (if you permit it to
happen at all), you can't build a router today with an asic that'll
know how to handle options which are created in the future :(

This means that the gear in the network is subject to failure at
relatively low packet rates (as compared to interface rates), it also
means that the failure is likely not just at the interface level (the
RP/RE/PRP/etc will be doing this processing), much of this box will
fail.

This is an unacceptable outcome.

> 2) I have been told that many large rotuers have a setting that causes them
> to ignore the hop by hop options field.  To the degree that is both true and
> turned on, then we need to allow for that in our think (both positive and
> negative.)

I've mostly seen the 'throw the packet away' option... I agree that if
I can ignore these in all of my routers I don't care what  you do with
them before you see my router or after I pass this off to my friendly
neighbor router. This means that if you expect all intermediate
networks to do "something" for you with this option, you will not get
it, your application and other things should never rely upon this
being functional.

if we get to that then... why are we making these exist anyways?

-chris
(I agree that being clear here is a good plan)