>> 3) Use HbH anyway. There is hardware that can ignore it.
>>    There is hardware that can parse it. We coudl certainly
>>    couple that with discouraging all such use.
>
> +1 to everything above.
>
> To me, (3) -- including advice explaining why the hop-by-hop behaviour is
> problematic -- seems like a sensible approach.

There is actually an advantage to having a single "hop by hop" option. It means
that by default everything else is end-to-end. Routers can thus "just forward
it" without violating any IETF recommendation. That's much simpler than having
to maintain a table of which payload require intermediate processing and which
don't.

-- Christian Huitema