Pekka Savola <pek...@netcore.fi> wrote:
> On Sat, 19 Feb 2011, Brian E Carpenter wrote:
>>On 2011-02-18 21:55, Pekka Savola wrote:
>>
>>> The document is silent on Flow Label (as Brian mentioned).  Rather than
>>> silence, I might be tempted to say something at least from the current
>>> perspective.  The key point here is, "are hosts expected to randomize or
>>> otherwise by default set a flow label"?

   This document is not the place to say that: it says _where_to_look_
for such specifications.

>> Until we have settled on 3697bis, there is no answer to that question.
>> I think it would be misleading to mention it.

   ... but it probably is reasonable to mention 3697bis as work in
progress.

> Section S 5.1 already has a MUST requirement for supporting RFC2460.
> RFC2460 main body and appendix describe the behaviour for assigning
> flows at the originating node.  This was made more specific in RFC3697
> that updated 2460.

   Saying just-that is reasonable.

> Given the situation we already have, I think it would be best to
> address this point by describing what we currently have already
> specified and the document requires.  A warning "This behaviour is
> being revised." would be sufficient to address upgrade path issues.

   This document should not try to be authoritative on Flow Label.
We could be more specific on where-to-look, but I'm not convinced
that will be helpful: where-to-look, IMHO, is 3697bis. ;^)

--
John Leslie <j...@jlc.net>