----- Original Message -----
From: "Mikael Abrahamsson" <swm...@swm.pp.se>
To: "6MAN" <ipv6@ietf.org>
Sent: Friday, March 04, 2011 5:23 PM

> On Fri, 4 Mar 2011, Sander Steffann wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> >> And on that note, let me hereby register my opposition to the adoption of
this draft as a working group item on the grounds that this change is not
sufficiently useful to justify such a late change to the core protocol
specification.  Enterprise networks should expect to pay for the proper costs of
auditing, and if that includes the cost of requiring every host to use DHCPv6 to
obtain both temporary and persistent addresses, then that's an adequate solution
to the auditing problem without requiring any change to the core specifications.

> > +1
> >
> > And existing hosts/implementations will ignore the new flag anyway, so how
can an enterprise 'guarantee' that privacy extensions will not be used? My
feeling is that this I-D will only cause confusion without solving the problem.

> I also agree. Let's not change RA more than is absolutely needed. The
> problem description sounds exactly like what DHCPv6 was designed to solve.
> If you need to track what IPs are used at a given time and by whom, SLAAC
> is not the way to go.

I agree.

After how ever many years it is, we really ought to be rolling something out
be it ever so slightly imperfect.

Who knows, we might need to use it in anger in a large scale deployment:-)

Tom Petch