> > > The common argument from the "stateful-only crowd" seems to be that
> > > they need to have a log of IPv6 address/MAC addresses for audit
> > > purposes, and therefore think they need to have stateful, database
> > > driven addressing to do that, probably because that is how it has
> > > been done in IPv4.
> >
> > In our (service provider) case the basic requirement is to be able to
> > associate a dynamic IPv6 address with a specific *customer*.
>
> Can't you use RADIUS for that? I'm working in a SLAAC
> environment for SP customers over PPP/PPPoE or L2TP, and RADIUS is
> reporting everything we're interested in knowing, including username,
> PPP IPV6CP IIDs, chosen dynamic prefixes for the PPP session and dynamic
> delegated prefixes if they're requested and the customer falls in that
> service type.

Sure we can. If we redo our DHCP infrastructure to use Radius instead.
It is a major change, and we don't really want to do it unless we
absolutely have to.

There are plenty of *other* bumps in the road on our way to IPv6. I
see no need to introduce more of these than necessary.

Steinar Haug, Nethelp consulting, sth...@nethelp.no