> I'm saying the reasons people are tempted to disable RFC4941 are misplaced.

+1

Consider that if I want privacy and you won't let me use RFC4941, I might just
make up a new MAC address each time I connect.

Consider also the effect of unique identifiers on tracking. The MAC address
follows you when you roam. By embedding it in the IPv6 address, we are
effectively offering a "super cookie" to all web services. Is it really what we
want? In addition to privacy issues, displaying the MAC address allows third
parties to track hardware purchase, and enables other attacks by providing the
data necessary for MAC spoofing. In short, it looked like a great idea at the
time... but wasn't.

-- Christian Huitema