On 12/03/2011 09:44 p.m., Christian Huitema wrote:

>> It doesn't. The I-D aims at allowing routers specify which policy
>> they want hosts to employ when generating their IPv6 addresses.
>
> Uh? I definitely don't want to give the router at Starbucks the means
> to specify the privacy configuration of my laptop.

Override the advice provided by the router at Starbucks, and you're done
(e.g., I guess this could even be automatically done by the OS depending
on how you tag the network you're connecting to (e.g., Public, Home,
whatever)).

> If we want policy options to be applied safely, they have to be
> propagated by trusted mechanism, where the host can verify the
> authority of the policy source. Anything else is abuse waiting to
> happen.

The threat model for this case is no different to that for ND in general...

Thanks,
--
Fernando Gont
e-mail: ferna...@gont.com.ar || fg...@acm.org