Fernando,

On 2011-03-16 00:55, Fernando Gont wrote:
> On 09/03/2011 05:49 p.m., Mark Smith wrote:
>> I agree. I sort of accept that an ISP can know my addresses in use, in
>> part because they gave them to me. However, for an ISP to not let me
>> choose if I want to use privacy addresses on the Internet would
>> be completely unacceptable.
>
> Why would you find it acceptable to have the ISP assign you the complete
> address e.g. with DHCP, then?

In the context of a user requiring privacy protection, it isn't acceptable.
As far as I know, what the ISP will assign is a prefix; the individual
host addresses are locally assigned by the CPE.

Thus, in an Internet cafe, a user using privacy addresses can be traced
to the cafe but no further, even if the cafe is also using DHCP to
assign addresses.

This is also why we accept the negligible risk of address collisions
referred to in another thread.

   Brian